Wednesday, January 26, 2011

French Toast and Tacos!

I decided to combine these two into one post since they're relatively simple things to make and I didn't follow an exact recipe. Sometimes you make something often enough you just start throwing things together!

Anyway, I LOVE having breakfast for dinner. Growing up my Mama would make us French Toast and there'd always be a special "kick" to it. Thank you Orange Extract!! It's been awhile since I've had it, so I decided to make it for dinner yesterday :]

Ingredients are simple: eggs, bread, cinnamon, milk, and vanilla extract. Orange is optional, but it's yummy!

First, crack your eggs into a dish big enough for your slice of bread to fit into.


Mix it up and add a splash or two of milk.


Grab your vanilla extract. If you want something special thrown in, use some orange extract like my Mom.


Add your vanilla, orange extract, and cinnamon. Pretty much just use as much as you'd like. I'm heavy handed with vanilla and cinnamon.


Soak each slice of bread in your batter.


Cook them on your skillet, make sure to flip them over to get the other side. I mostly just eye this, and when they look done, I take them off. Maybe a handful of minutes for the whole thing?


Butter them up, add some syrup (or powdered sugar if that's your thing) and gobble them up!!!!


So that's French Toast.

Now, Tacos are pretty much my go-to meal. If it's been a long day and I don't feel like cooking, I usually just make tacos. I figure, why not? Mexican food is my favorite food, my husband loves them, and they're easy!!

Start out with a package of your meat. Most people use Ground Beef, but my Twinnie introduced me to Ground Turkey when I went up to visit her in San. Fran. Ever since I pretty much substitute it for anything that calls for beef!


Add a splash of vegetable oil to your pan, and add your meat.


Add some salt, pepper, and garlic powder.


And then some chili powder.


Mix it a little bit and sprinkle some lemon pepper too.


Keep cooking til it browns.


Perfect!


Now, I was all out of my normal seasonings, so I used a package of this. I just added it to my mixture with a splash or two of water, not the amount the directions say.


Turn down the heat a little, cover the lid, and let simmer for a few minutes.


Mean while, stick your shells on a pan in the oven to warm/crisp up.


Prepare your condiments. Here we have Taco Bell hot sauce, some salsa, and some cheese.


Remove the lid from your pan and drizzle some Apple Cider Vinegar over the meat.


All done!!


Put on your toppings and eat away!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment